If you're preparing for a photo session with your children, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. Children are not always easy to deal with, which is why the below tips will come in handy when going to your photo session.
1. Don't make a big deal out of it. If you are stressing out and cranky, snapping at you kids (we all do that from time to time), the kids will act out because of that. If you act more relaxed and have fun, they will too. Let your photographer guide you and them on what to do, and remember they are kids, you are there to capture the moments with them. Focus on the big picture, and don't sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it FUN. Let the kids have a few photos they want to get. Where they pick their poses and/or props. By doing this, you get to get out some of their energy and at the same time get some great photos that you're looking for.
3. Be prepared. Make sure the kids are well rested. Don't book your session at nap time (unless it's a baby session and you want sleeping baby photos). Bring snacks and a drink. Photo shoots are hard work on everyone involved, so well rested, fed people and kids make for a better working environment.
4. Be patient. Don't try to control the photo session too much. Take the lead from the photographer. If you feel like you're getting too stressed out, walk away for a few moments and take a breather. Sometimes, the best photos of your kids come when you are not standing right there.
5. Talk with your kids. Talk about favorite songs, movies or shows. What did they do in school that week that was fun? Who is their favorite cartoon person? By doing this it, it allows them to feel more comfortable and relaxed around you and your photographer. This will also give the photographer a chance to capture a few candid moments and adorable expressions.
Book your next session with me here!